CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Eye love the clinic September 12, 2016

This week we served at the free clinic which is so much fun because we
get to be little receptionist people and schedule appointments in the
computer. Dr. Fischer informed me that I have blue sclera which just
means that the whites of my eyes have a slight blue tint to them.
Apparently in ancient Egypt if you had it your were considered
royalty!

Great things are happening in the trail center! I don't know why I've
never really made a lesson plan or thought of the commitment before a
tour. I always just rely on the Spirit in the moment, which isn't bad
I guess, but thinking more beforehand on their needs is so important.
Sister Svennson and I had the opportunity to take two members on tour
together and after we put them in the video we walked around the
gallery to pick out a spot for a specific principle. We chose the log
cabin and compared it to the brother of Jared boats that were "tight
like a dish" and how we need to serve our
family and keep them close together so that worldly influences don't
have any room to come through. It was a neat experience and we both
felt more prepared because we had taken the time to think about what
to share.

Sister Preator and I went to visit some of the less active girls with
the young women for mutual! The elders and us formed a youth challenge
that has them all pumped to do missionary work and it's so awesome. :)

Last but not least, for ward coordination meeting we had a member from
the stake come and share what they want each of the ward's mission
plans to include. One easy thing he mentioned is that everyone who
speaks in church should invite nonmembers to come and hear them! I
thought that was such a good idea because it's less intimidating for
both people. We're also encouraged to have the ward pray for specific
ways they can share the gospel in whatever situations they are in and
that God may place prepared people in their path! I hope y'all can do
the same!

Have a gorgeous week!!

Love,
Sister Irwin

P.S. Sister Jones (the bishop's wife) gave us early Christmas presents
since they're moving and they are the most comfy socks ever! :)
P.P.S. After cleaning the temple this morning (the sun was so bright)





No comments:

Post a Comment