CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Monday, November 23, 2015

Squirrel!‏ November 23, 2015

Hey y'all! My first day at the trail center was awesome! I was able to
take this lady named Angie on a tour and she was super open minded
about everything and accepted a Book of Mormon! She said she'll bring
her daughter back for the gingerbread festival. WHICH IS THE BEST
THING EVER! The whole place smells amazing and makes me so hungry but
it's like a Christmas wonderland and I promise to send pictures soon!
Some of these houses are nicer than real houses...I can't imagine how
much time people spent on them!.
 
Sister Strong and I had the opportunity the visit the cutest elderly
couple named the Bebe's. They are in their late 80s, she's been a
Catholic her whole life and he doesn't have a religion but will
occasionally go with her. We spent a long time talking about our
different values and I don't know how open they are to learning more
but we are hoping to go back some time to chat with them again because
they are so sweet.
 
Random thought: the other night for a snack I had an apple and a
banana and then that "I like to eat apples and bananas" song got stuck
in my head forever. If it just got stuck in yours, you're welcome. ;)
 
Zone conference was so much fun! Never before could I say that I enjoy
sitting through a 7 hour meeting but the mission does crazy things to
ya! Elder Martino from the quorum of the seventy came and spoke to us.
We talked about how to make time count, how important the members are
in helping our investigators, charity, and how we shouldn't make
excuses. He said to eliminate the word "yea-but" from our vocabulary.
He's a funny guy! Very smart, spiritual, and inspiring too. I believe
he just spoke in the last session of general conference so go read his
talk if you have time!
 
We have a new investigator!!! Her name is Christy and we're teaching
her whole family at a member family's house tonight and it will be
grand and glorious! We feel really good about her so I'll be sure to
let you know next week how it goes. :)
 
I love you all and Happy Thanksgiving!! Eat lots of turkey.
 
Love,
Sister Irwin
 
P.S. There are squirrels everywhere. Literally everywhere. Sometimes I
feel like Doug from Up.
P.S.S. It snowed the tiniest bit ever on Friday and we thought we
would get more but you don't hear me complaining! We ate dinner with
the Snyder family and we had chili spaghetti since it's their
tradition to make it on the first snow day of the year and it was
different but delicious. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment