CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Monday, November 23, 2015

Greetings from Omaha! November 16, 2015

Hey y'all! I finally made it to Nebraska and let me tell you, it is
wonderful! It was raining last Wednesday when we got here, but the sun
has been out a few times to warm things up. The people here are so
friendly and the houses are so cute with white picket fences and
little chimneys! The landscape is gorgeous here too. :) President and
Sister Gardner greeted us at the airport and took us to the mission
office. They are so amazing I love them so much! As soon as we walked
in, the smell of cinnamon rolls filled my nose and I knew that we were
about to be fed well! Later that day we went on a tour of the Mormon
Trail Center! It is so cute and all decorated for Christmas already.
My first shift is tomorrow - I can't wait!!.

On Thursday night we had a special dinner/testimony meeting at the
Gardner's home. They are some of the most genuine and loving people I
know, I'm so grateful to be serving with such wonderful people! Then
on Friday was transfers and I met my new companion! Her name is Sister
Strong and she will be my trainer and "mom" for the next few months!
She is so kind and we get along so well. We are in the Walnut Creek
Branch and live in a member's basement. She is a middle aged woman
named Sister Flynn, and she has a dog also named Sasha! What are the
odds??

Saturday morning we were able to attend a temple marriage ceremony of
two of the senior missionaries that serve in the trail center. I'm so
grateful for the blessing of temples and that there's one in my
mission. The temple grounds and pioneer memorial cemetery have such a
peaceful and sacred feeling about them. I love the pioneers and am
glad to have the opportunity to learn more about them in this unique
mission. I know that their trials and sacrifices helped the church
become what it is today and I am forever grateful for all of my
ancestors.

Just one last thing before I go: Sister Strong and I were tracting the
other day and crossed paths with a carpet cleaning salesman putting
fliers on peoples doors. We ended up walking with him and taught him
the restoration! We both agreed that was the most interesting way to
give a lesson but hey it worked because he wanted to learn more so we
gave him a Book of Mormon and contacted the missionaries in his area!
:)

Love you all so much!
Sister Irwin

P.S. The group picture was of some of us on the last night at the MTC.
It was taken a little after 11pm - about 3 hours before we needed to
be up and ready to leave for the airport....
The other picture is of my awesome trainer and companion!



No comments:

Post a Comment