CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Monday, January 11, 2016

"Many are cold, few are frozen"‏ January 11, 2016

If you get the pun then congratulations! Sadly, I didn't make it up
haha. We've reached negative degrees people! It was -4 when we got up
yesterday morning!

This past week we've been able to meet a lot more of the members from
Cottonwood! The Ford's are the cutest old couple ever and gave us a
bag of snacks before we left. They both served missions in their youth
and have served a few as a couple. Sister Ipsen is so nice and has an
adorable two year old who loves sacrament meeting because every time
he screams "I see the bread!" Sister Stanley is the young women's
president and she is the best! She's so fun and bubbly. We're actually
going out to lunch with her in about an hour. :)

Zone training was awesome! I always love when a bunch of missionaries
get together for a meeting because the spirit is so strong and
everyone builds each other up. :) We talked about faith, how to extend
better commitments, and the Book of Mormon!

We have chat back at the trail center! Since it's dead season we have
less tours so now we get to go in the back room on the computers and
help people who go to Mormon.org with questions they need answered. I
haven't done it since the MTC and I'm glad we're doing it again
because I love it!

Shane came to church yesterday!!! I can't remember if I've talked
about him before but he is the coolest dude ever. He's bald and looks
like a tough guy and we were honestly intimidated the first time we
met him but he is the sweetest person ever! A real softie. :) He
stayed for the first two hours and afterwards texted us and thanked us
so much saying he really enjoyed it. We are meeting with him some time
this week!

Here's a funny story to end this email: When it snows a lot you get a
lot of snowbanks along the side of the road. Every time I get in and
out of the car it's a struggle! One time I slipped and fell on the
snowbank and was laughing so hard I couldn't get up for a solid five
minutes. The end. :)

Love,
Sister Irwin

P.S. It's the abominable snow man!!!! This has to be a world record!
(We didn't build it we just saw it and had to take a picture)


We had to say goodbye to the Deurksen's and the Ellis'! :( I'm going to miss these oldies but goodies!





No comments:

Post a Comment