CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Thursday, October 13, 2016

We're not Amish, we're just on Amishions October 10, 2016

Well hello there!

Hopefully someone enjoyed the pun...Sister Preator and I were trying
to explain to this guy why we didn't watch the news or anything and
we're still not sure if he got it haha.

Something that's been on my mind lately is just how awesome the gospel
is. Like really! No matter who you are, where you live, what your
race/gender/age is it can help you. This week I learned how to say "I
love The Book of Mormon" in German. I feel so blessed to meet people
from all over the world and it is so true that the teachings of Jesus
Christ are indeed for everyone! I know our Heavenly Father just wants
us to find happiness in this life, and following the commandments of
prayer, scripture study, and church attendance are a fantastic way to
do just that.

It turns out now the whole mission is doing a 40 day fast! We all made
a list of anything that pushes away the Spirit or distracts from the
work. One of my things is I'm going to try and not get none church
songs stuck in my head because it happens all the time! It's been
challenging because my brain thinks in music but I guess I'll just
have to blast the MoTab even more. Feel free to tell me some of your
favorite hymn arrangements or lds artists I should know about :)

The other day Kathy called us and told us her nose was running and
that she had to go catch it. I just love her! She also said she had a
surprise for us but we had to wait until we went over to her house. We
got there and it turns out that her friend Kristine has moved in and
she's actually a less active! Kathy was just so excited because she
had been praying to know how she could be a better friend and her
prayer was answered. :) Hopefully we can get Kathy, Scott, and
Kristine all to church!

Saturday was a stellar day because we had two member present lessons!
Sister Smith came with us to see Carrie who started reading the Book
of Mormon! She takes notes on everything she reads which is so awesome
because now she's comprehending things more. Then later on, Sister
Meyer came with us to visit our new investigator Michelle who asks a
lot of good questions and we have a return appointment with her this
Friday!

It was a great week! Everything is so pretty here...I'll have to send
a picture next week but Autumn is definitely in the air! The already
50 degrees air. :-)

Love,
Sister Irwin

P.S. P-day field trip to the Kanesville tabernacle, tour with sweet
lady Debbie and her husband, tour with family from Switzerland!





But wait, there's more!

Dinner with "Father" and Sister Bruun! They're in Eagle Run ward but
know pretty much all the missionaries here and treat us like their
own.

Also Bob and Lucy's daughter Heather and her cute baby Corbin came to
visit! Today we went out to lunch and tried the authentic Runza - a
sandwich type deal with hamburger meat, cabbage, onions, and cheese.
After that we went to Boys Town. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment