CALLED TO SERVE

Hello friends! :) I am currently serving as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Nebraska Omaha Mission. I'll be emailing home every week for the 18 months that I'm in the Cornhusker state; my amazing mom will be the one posting them on this here blog. Interested in church history? Come on down to the Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters and I might just be there to give you a tour!

"As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Tuesday, April 12, 2016

As I went down to the river to pray April 11, 2016

Hello friends! :) 

Nothing too crazy happened this week, except for while we were at the
trail center there was a TORNADO WARNING!!! Jk it was just a test
luckily, but still the siren was super loud and creepy like in the
movies. Things are starting to pick up at the trail center because of
Spring break so that's exciting! I've surprisingly met a lot of people
from Arizona here on business trips or vacation. I took some workers
from the Mesa Temple on tour just the other day, and some of Elder and
Sister Ellis' family members as well. 

 We met this awesome family this week. Teresa, David, and their three
kids! They've met with missionaries before and are super super nice
but super super Catholic. The 7-year old girl, Maria, is getting ready
for her first communion and we talked a little about the importance of
learning the commandments when we're young. Mostly we just sang songs
from girls camp because she knew the shark song! Never in my wildest
dreams did I think I'd be standing in a stranger's kitchen eating
banana bread and singing at the top of my lungs. Thank you black name
tag. :) 

 Sister Young and I had a dinner appointment cancel one night so we
decided to treat ourselves to some Texas Roadhouse. Our waitress came
out and told us that our check was already taken care of! It turns out
there was a family from the Bellevue 1st ward sitting across from us
and they paid for our meal!! We talked to them and expressed our
gratitude and found out their name was the Burkes. They inspired me to
want to do the same thing when I get off my mission! Mosiah
2:17..."when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only
in the service of your God." Get out there and find someone to serve!
It's the secret to happiness! 

 Love,
Sister Irwin

 P.S. My "grandma" Sister Durrans (now Chloe) came back and visited so
we took a three generations picture! 
P.P.S. Tryouts for the NOM Olympics...ball is life 
P.P.P.S I touched the Platte River! We found a little community of
houses that live literally right next to the water and it was so
beautiful. There was actually a house for sale - mom, dad, you should
move here!






No comments:

Post a Comment